The SocComm Nova Pocketfilm Festival 2019 Mechanics are as follows:
1. Who Can Join?
The Pocketfilm Festival is open to all interested individuals aged 18 and above who are video-making amateurs or hobbyists from any or fall under any of the seventy-three (73) parishes of the Diocese of Novaliches.
2. How Can I Join?
Interested individuals must register online to become part of the Festival. After registration, participant must print a copy of the email confirmation received and bring it on the scheduled day of the Filmfestival (Seminar date), depending on the type of participant.
Registration is done per group—that is each registration is good for four (4) people who have decided to be together in submitting one (1) entry to the Pocketfilm Festival.
3. What makes an entry?
An entry is the output video of a group of four people who registered to Filmfestival. The entry is to be made on-the-spot during the Filmfestival (Seminar date) depending on the type of participant.
The entry should last for 60 seconds only and must be done through a mobile phone and a mobile phone video editing application, which could be any of the following: PowerDirector, KineMaster, Adobe Clip, Videolicious, FilmoraGo, Quik, and Easy Video Cutter.
4. What are the types of participants?
There are two (2) types of participants in the Pocketfilm Festival:
- Internal Participants – Members of SocComm Nova that have attended any of the Communication Camps (2017, 2018, and 2019).
- General Public – Those who are (1) not yet members of SocComm Nova but intends to by signing up through the Filmfestival or (2) already members of SocComm Nova but have not attended any of the Communication Camps (2017, 2018, and 2019).
5. Is there a Registration Fee?
Yes, there is a registration fee. The regular rate is Three Hundred Fifty Pesos (Php350.00) Only per participant. However, there is a special payment scheme that applies to registrants according to the following:
- Students – Php100.00/participant
- Media Camp 2019 Attendees Who Completed Days 1 & 2 – Php150.00/participant
- Media Camp 2019 Attendees for One Day Only (Either Day 1 or Day 2 only) – Php175.00/participant
- Media Camp 2017 / 2018 Attendees Who Did Not Attend Media Camp 2019 – Php200.00/participant
- General Public (Those not mentioned above) – Php350.00/participant
6. What are the Scheduled Dates and venues of the Festival?
There are two scheduled dates for the Pocketfilm Festival 2019:
- June 1, 2019 @8AM-9PM, Mary The Queen Parish – Seminar on Basic Pocketfilming for Media Camp 2017, 2018, and 2019 attendees and Internal Awards = FINISHED
August 17, 2019 @8AM-5PM, Venue to be announced – Seminar on Basic Pocketfilming For the General Public October 15, 2019; 1159PM – Deadline of online voting October 19, 2019; 5PM-9PM – Public Awards, venue TBA
- March 28, 2020 @8AM-5PM, Obispado de Novaliches and Diocesan Shrines – Seminar on Basic Pocketfilming for Non-Media Camp attendees and the General Public
- March 29-June 28, 2020 – Online Competition for Non-Media Camp attendees and the General Public
- June 29-September 28, 2020 – Offline judging period for Non-Media Camp attendees and the General Public
- October 17, 2020, 6PM-8PM, Cathedral Shrine and Parish of the Good Shepherd – Public Awards Night
7. Who are the judges for the Pocketfilm Festival?
- Internal Awards – Members of the Diocesan Pastoral Team:
- BEC Nova (Mr. Benjamin Custodio)
- FLC Nova (Mr. Wayne Belizar)
- COY Nova (Rev. Fr. John Harvey Bagos)
- Public Awards – Representatives from:
- Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines Episcopal Commission on Social Communications (CBCP-ECSC)
- Ecclesiastical Province of Manila Social Communications and Media Ministry:
- EWTN Asia Pacific
- TV Maria
8. How many winners will there be?
There will be three winners for each type of participant:
- First Prize
- Second Prize
- Third Prize
9. How will winners be chosen?
For the Internal Awards, winners will be chosen based on the participant’s compliance on the theme and instructions given them during the actual Filmfestival.
For the Public Awards, judging is done in two levels: Online and Offline. Online Judging implores the participation of Netizens while Offline involves the decision of the Panel of Judges.
In summary, Public Award winners will be chosen based on the following conditions:
a) The group of participants per entry has actually joined and participated in the SocComm of the Parish they belong to from the time of registration to the entire time of the Filmfestival. This will be attested to by the Parish SocComm Coordinator through an endorsement letter to be given to SocComm Nova on September 15, 2020.
b) The submitted entry has garnered the most number of Likes and Shares in the Diocesan FB Page. Thus, participants are expected to promote their own entries as soon as it is uploaded in the Diocesan FB Page by SocComm Nova. Online competition begins as scheduled above. The Online competition result of the entry comprise 50% of its standing in the Pocket Filmfestival.
c) In addition to (a) and (b), the Panel of Judges will decide on the entry based on the following Criteria for Judging, which comprise the remaining 50% of an entry’s standing in the Pocket Filmfestival:
- Obedience (40%) – compliance on the theme and instructions given them during the actual Filmfestival (Seminar date).
- Content (30%) – the video has a story to tell that is in accordance to the theme and purpose of the Filmfestival
- Creativity (20%) – the story or thought of the video is presented in a unique way using techniques taught them
- Recall (10%) – the video has a solid, clear, and easy-to-remember story
10. What Should Participants Comply With On The Actual Day of the Filmfestival?
- Participants are to bring their Filmfestival Tickets (printout of the email confirmation on their registration) on the day of their scheduled Filmfestival (Seminar date). No ticket, no entry policy.
- Participants are to pay the Registration Fees upon presentation of their Filmfestival Tickets.
- Only mobile phones are to be used for the Pocket Filmfestival—both in filming and in video editing. Anyone using a laptop or computer will automatically be disqualified from the competition. Honesty, cooperation, and obedience to the rules and mechanics is a must.
- The type of phone used and the video editing application used must be shown with the group member names, along with music score used at the Credits. While the title of the pocketfilm and the group name (e.g. Group 1 Productions) should be shown at the opening of the pocketfilm.
- Contestants will be given only 1 hour to shoot for their pocketfilm on site and 2 hours to edit their pocketfilm immediately after shooting. All entries are to be submitted in .MP4 format within the timeframe given by the Committee on the day itself of the Filmfestival (Seminar date).
11. What’s at stake?
- Internal Awards = 1st Prize: Php10,000.00; 2nd / 3rd Prize: Certificate of Appreciation
- Public Awards = 1st Prize: Php10,000.00; 2nd / 3rd Prize: Certificate of Appreciation